Welcome to our new forum platform. We realize there is still some work to do and we appreciate your patience. Please let us know if you have any ideas or suggestions: paul@globalmapperforum.com

Transparent PNG in KMZ export

aNameNooneElseHasaNameNooneElseHas Global Mapper UserPosts: 6 ✭✭
edited December 2008 in Technical Support

I'm trying to use GM10 to export KMZ / KML, via a script. The raster format is to be PNG. All is well, except that I need colour 0 to be transparent. It looks to me like the Export KMZ dialog does not allow for a transparent color to be set.

Unfortunately the BG_TRANSPARENT keyword does not seem to do anything for PNG within a KMZ.

I can use Tools > Control Center then select an overlay, then Options > Transparency etc. However, the gotcha is that I cannot do that via a script, even with a Sendkeys approach, because it appears to be impossible to select the overlay within the Control Center, without using a mouse. Obviously, if a mouse is needed, the automated scripting won't work.

I don't think I can use the batch convert, because I cannot set the output projection that way (it has to be geographic / WGS-84).

Any ideas on how I can get my KMZ exported, in an automated way, making color 0 transparent?

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238BMG Staff
    edited December 2008
    You enable transparency for each layer that you have loaded, rather than on your export. In a script your IMPORT commands is where you specify the transparency.

You could also use batch conversion. Any export to KML/KMZ is automatically reprojected to Geographic/WGS84, you don't have to do anything to make sure that the export projection is correct.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Global Mapper Support
  • aNameNooneElseHasaNameNooneElseHas Global Mapper User Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited December 2008
    Thanks for the info Mike. I have used TRANSPARENT_COLOR="RGB(0,0,0)" with the IMPORT command.

Thanks also for the tip re the batch output being Geo/WGS84.

And for the prompt reply :)