Welcome to our new forum platform. We realize there is still some work to do and we appreciate your patience. Please let us know if you have any ideas or suggestions: email@example.com
I recently purchased Global Mapper 11 and LOVE IT! I've been using Manifold for the last 5 years to view bathymetry data and find new ship wrecks / reefs to scuba dive off the coast of Los Angeles. Both programs have their strenghts but I absolutely love the speed of Global Mapper with handling large data sets and the really slick 3D view!
Here are a few things that I would like to see.
1. Splash screen should have "Load Workspace" as one of the options. I'm betting that most people start with an existing workspace at least as often as they open new data. CTRL+W is a nice hotkey but it just strikes me as odd that Load Workspace isn't in there.
2. I would love to see some buttons added to the overlay control center for "select all" and "select none". I frequently import a big zip file that contains about a dozen shape files with GPS coordinates of various areas. I hate manually deselecting them every time and would like an easy way to deselect everythign and only add back the layers I want to see.
3. I really need a tabular "spreadsheet" way of editing and viewing my waypoints. I see that I can use the info tool to view and edit the attributes of a waypoint but this only works one waypoint at a time. It would be nice to be able to see all the points in a layer at one time. I guess I could always export to csv, edit, and import again but it would be convenient to stay in Global Mapper.
4. I'm getting an "Unspecified Error" when trying to export a shape file to Lowrance USR using Export Vector Data > Export Lowrance USR. Is anyone else seeing this?
Thank you for making such an excellent product.
Here are more things I absolutely love about Global Mapper.
1. You support NetCDF so I can open output files directly from MB System
2. You can directly read BAG files so I can open NOAA bathy data with no conversion!
3. You keep file sizes tiny and save/open times fast.
4. You can open huge data sets and do screen redraws in only a few seconds! This is much different than my experience with other GIS packages. I'm playing with 6GB of sidescan & multibeam data for Catalina Island and my redraws are < 10 seconds!