Welcome to our new forum platform. We realize there is still some work to do and we appreciate your patience. Please let us know if you have any ideas or suggestions: paul@globalmapperforum.com

Determining elevation difference between 3D Point data and elevation raster

dcoggindcoggin Global Mapper UserPosts: 258Trusted User ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2010 in Technical Support

I have a dataset of 3D point data (shapefile) that is depth soundings that run mostly in about three long lines up and down a river so they're not very dense. I have another set of soundings for the area that are dense enough to grid. I've gridded that data and am wondering if there's a way to use Global Mapper to get differences (essentially height above or below terrain) for each of the data points in the first dataset I described from the gridded dataset. I'm basically trying to determine if there's a pattern error between the two datasets in this area.

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238BMG Staff
    edited April 2010

Yes, if you grid both data sets (you might use the tightness slider to get a grid just near your actual points, you can then use the File->Combine Terrains menu command to combine the terrains into a new one with the difference between the layers.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Global Mapper Support