Welcome to our new forum platform. We realize there is still some work to do and we appreciate your patience. Please let us know if you have any ideas or suggestions: paul@globalmapperforum.com

Google Maps Export, Fill to Tile Bounds with raster imagery fills with yellow

jaybo_nomadjaybo_nomad Global Mapper UserPosts: 14Trusted User ✭✭
edited June 2011 in Technical Support
Using GM V12.01, when exporting using ExportWebFormat.GoogleMapsTiles I'm unable to completely fill the edge tiles with raster imagery.

"Make Image Tiles Transparent" does make the edges transparent, but this isn't what I want.

"ADVANCED: Fill to Tile Bounds" seems like it would be the right choice, but instead of raster imagery, I get a yellow color as the fill rather than the background imagery.

Unchecking both of the above seems to give the same result as "Fill to Tile Bounds".

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238BMG Staff
    edited May 2011
    Can you first try getting the v12.02 release to see if that fixes the issue? You can download and install v12.02 from the links below:

32-bit: http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper12_setup.exe
    64-bit: http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper12_setup_64bit.exe

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • jaybo_nomadjaybo_nomad Global Mapper User Posts: 14Trusted User ✭✭
    edited May 2011
    V12.02 doesn't seem to fix the issue; I'm getting the exact same results as with V12.01.

Am I interpreting the description "ADVANCED: Fill to Tile Bounds" correctly? Should raster areas outside the ExportBounds but still part of the tile set be filled with image data if this is checked?
    edited May 2011
    Yes you are interpreting it correctly. The full tiles should be filled with loaded data rather than just filling the tiles out to the specified export bounds when that option is checked. Are you cropping to an area or anything like that? Doing that would cause what you are seeing.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
    edited May 2011
    Yes I am cropping to an area. I'm creating areas based on BSB charts, then merging the areas, and then using the combined area as the ExportBounds.

Any workarounds?
    edited May 2011
    You would need to not crop to an area since that cropping will mark anything outside the areas as invalid, so it would be filled in with the background color if filling to the tile bounds. What you could do is start the export once cropping to the areas, then cancel and restart and then on the Export Bounds tab just press the button to use the last export bounds. That should leave you with a normal non-cropped export to the bounding box of the areas that you were cropping to the time before.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
    edited May 2011
    Thanks for the suggestion, but it doesn't solve the problem of creating a sparse tileset. As you predicted, using the "Reset to Last Exported Bounds" results in a tileset which is the bounding box of the contained areas, rather than just the individual areas. So I seem to be stuck creating unnecessary and redundant tiles.

Can I suggest this feature be considered for future inclusion?

Does the developer API give the ability to create sparse tilesets?

Thanks,
    Jay
    edited May 2011
    Jay,

There is an option to 'Skip Empty Tiles' when exporting to web formats like Google Maps tiles. This should cause any tiles that don't intersect any of the loaded layer bounds to not be exported. Have you tried checking that option?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
    edited May 2011
    In my case there are no empty tiles, so I don't think the "Skip Empty Tiles" option will work.

I have different BSB charts at multiple scales for the same geographic area. Only a small fraction of the large scale charts are covered by small scale charts. Charts with identical scales occupy a single overlay. Different overlays are enabled when exporting each zoom factor. When exporting the small scale charts both the large scale and the small scale charts are visible within a single tile (the large scale chart is visible at the outer boundary of the small scale chart).

When exporting a rectangular region everything works correctly. But I'm trying to limit the size of the dataset by only exporting the cropped regions of the small scale charts, and this fails since there doesn't seem to be a way to include the large scale charts while simultaneously cropping to an area.
    edited May 2011
    It sounds like you just want to crop some of your charts to an area and not all of them correct? If so then you don't want to do the cropping at export, but instead, go to the Cropping tab of the Options dialog for the layer(s) that you want to crop and crop them to a polygon there, then just do the rectangular export. Then you should get your background charts filling in where the other charts are cropped.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
    edited May 2011
    Sorry, I'm not explaining this very well. Given a set of charts like:

http://cid-c65543daf04f23c4.photos.live.com/self.aspx/Gdal/gm1.png

I need to use collar cropping to merge the BSBs. But then when I export there is a (transparent or background color) band around the outside of the red hatched regions, since the larger scale background charts aren't merged into the exported tiles:

http://cid-c65543daf04f23c4.photos.live.com/self.aspx/Gdal/gm2.png

From your answers thusfar, it appears this is a limitation of Global Mapper since I'm cropping to an area, and when doing so the "ADVANCED: Fill to Tile Bounds" setting is ignored.
    edited May 2011
    What boundary does your crop area follow? Is it on the edge of your more detailed charts. I would expect your less detailed charts to fill in unless your crop boundary actually precluded them from being used.

The "Fill to Tile Bounds" and "Crop to Area" options do have somewhat competing goals, but I decided that it makes more sense to make the "Fill to Tile Bounds" option override the "crop to area" option so you should be able to get what you want. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper12.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v12.xx installation folder to give it a try. If you are using the 64-bit v12 version there is a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper12_64bit.zip .

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
    edited May 2011
    Thanks, but the new build doesn't seem to be working quite right. Here's an export of a section of the gulf coast:

http://cid-c65543daf04f23c4.photos.live.com/self.aspx/Gdal/gm3.png

Some of the borders seem to be correctly filled with background overlays, but others are still filled with the background color.
    I've tried with both "ADVANCED: Fill to Tile Bounds" checked and unchecked.
    edited May 2011
    Are your layers set to only display at certain zoom scales or anything like that? Are the missing background layers perhaps completely outside of your crop are or something? Just trying to figure out why they might not be showing up even after the change I made.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
    edited May 2011
    "When to Display Maps" is set at the default of 10% of Display. Much to my surprise, changing this value affects the tile set generated during export, whereas I had assumed this setting only affected onscreen viewing. I will experiment more with this...

Yes, the missing background layers are completely outside of the crop, but they are completely inside of the tile boundary.
    edited May 2011
    The setting for when to display maps also applies on export (otherwise it wouldn't be of much use for multi-zoom level exports. So anything less than 10% of a particular export tile wouldn't be used if that was the setting. I'm guessing that is what is happening.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
    edited May 2011
    To ensure that all overlays are ALWAYS displayed, I've set "When to Display Maps" to "Display Pixel is Less than Size 500000 meters per pixel". Unfortunately, This had no material effect on the results.

With "ADVANCED: Fill to Tile Bounds" unchecked:
    http://cid-c65543daf04f23c4.photos.live.com/self.aspx/Gdal/gm4.png

With "ADVANCED: Fill to Tile Bounds" checked:
    http://cid-c65543daf04f23c4.photos.live.com/self.aspx/Gdal/gm5.png

I'd assume the version of GM you provided earlier today would use something like the following logic:

1. If Export Bounds is set to "Crop to Selected Area Features" AND
    2. If exporting to a format which is tile based AND
    3. If "ADVANCED: Fill to Tile Bounds" is checked THEN

Expand the effective Export Bounds to the smallest tile boundaries which completely enclose the originally defined export bounds.

Sort of a modulo operation where the effective Export Bounds always align with tile boundaries?
    edited May 2011
    Your logic is right, it looks like I just missed where the list of layers to export was being stripped of any layers that didn't intersect the crop areas before applying that logic. I have moved that so hopefully now it will work. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper12.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v12.xx installation folder to give it a try. If you are using the 64-bit v12 version there is a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper12_64bit.zip .

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
    edited May 2011
    I've made a couple of diagrams, where the area boundaries are shown in green, and the resulting export is shown in yellow overlaid upon a grid which represents the exported tiles. Your latest version seems to be producing this:

http://cid-c65543daf04f23c4.photos.live.com/self.aspx/Gdal/gm6.png

Whereas ideally, I'd like a sparse output such as this:
    http://cid-c65543daf04f23c4.photos.live.com/self.aspx/Gdal/gm7.png

I'm sure you're growing weary of this, but it does seem like a generally useful capability which will save massive amounts of compute time, and tile upload/download bandwidth. I've been futzing with GM intermittantly for a year now trying to get it to do this, and am nearing the end of my rope too... :)
    edited May 2011
    Are you also checking the option to skip empty tiles? That might get rid of those tiles whose bounds intersect the crop area bounds but are outside of the crop area. In practice those empty tiles should export very quickly.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
    edited May 2011
    "Skip Empty Tiles" has no effect. With or without this setting checked, I'm always getting a rectangular grid of tiles exported rather than a sparse set of tiles. The only permuation which gives a set of sparse tiles is:

"Make Image Tiles Transparent" - unchecked
    "Skip Empty Files" - unchecked
    "ADVANCED: Fill to Tile Bounds" - unchecked

But this still give the yellow border. If I select "Fill to Tile Bounds", then the output becomes rectangular, and not sparse with no yellow border.
    edited May 2011
    Are you perhaps checking the option to save the scale and legend if present? I found where if that was checked even if none of the layer bounds intersected the tile bounds the tile would still be exported. Otherwise you should only be getting the tile if the bounding box of one of the layers intersects the tile bounds.

I did update the check to only check for data layers and not scale/legend layers so if this was the case that should be fixed. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper12.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v12.xx installation folder to give it a try. If you are using the 64-bit v12 version there is a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper12_64bit.zip .

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
    edited May 2011
    I'm not quite sure where the "save scale and legend options" are to be found, but the latest version referenced in the previous post is still exporting rectangular rather than sparse tile sets when using a set of non-rectangular areas for the ExportBounds.

Rectangular:
    http://cid-c65543daf04f23c4.photos.live.com/self.aspx/Gdal/gm6.png

Sparse:
    http://cid-c65543daf04f23c4.photos.live.com/self.aspx/Gdal/gm7.png

Thanks,
    Jay
    edited May 2011
    Jay,

Ah sorry, the 'save scale and legend' option isn't there for web exports, so that's a non-issue. There must be at least one layer whose bounding box intersects the bounding box of the tiles being exported, even if the data for the tile doesn't actually cover it (due to something like transparency). Are you checking the box to include vector data when exporting? This would cause the layer with the crop area to be included and the bounding box of that layer would be the entire rectangle around the crop area so that could be the issue.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
    edited May 2011
    No, I'm not including vector data when exporting.

But your comment "There must be at least one layer whose bounding box intersects the bounding box of the tiles being exported, even if the data for the tile doesn't actually cover it" is confounding me.

I have (say) charts loaded which cover the entire earth in Layer1, and also charts covering parts of the Gulf of Mexico in Layer2, and then (disabled) Layer3 which is "User Created Features" containing areas created from the cropped bounds of the charts in Layer2 and which are used to define the ExportBounds during export, which is ideally a sparse tileset.

If I enable "Make Tiles Transparent", I get the desired sparse tileset. But instead of a sparse transparent tileset, I need Layer1 to occupy the transparent areas in the border tiles of the sparse tileset instead of them being transparent.

All of these layers "intersect" the bounding box of the tiles being exported.
    edited May 2011
    Ah I think I finally achieved some clarity. What is happening is that my fix to not discard layers that are outside the clip areas when filling to tile bounds also caused those tiles themselves that are outside the clip area to not be discarded. I have re-ordered things so now this problem should be fixed. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper12.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v12.xx installation folder to give it a try. If you are using the 64-bit v12 version there is a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper12_64bit.zip .

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
    edited May 2011
    YES! I've tried a number of large exports and this latest version works perfectly. THANK YOU!
  • courcour Global Mapper User Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Apparently this is only working for GoogleMap tiles, and it works great! However, I've tried doing the same but with TMS tiles and its not working. :eek:
    edited June 2011
    Hmmm are you choosing the same options as for the Google Maps export? I would expect them to behave the same as they share the same export code.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • courcour Global Mapper User Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Yes, the exact same options. Just to be sure, I created a small test.

2 layers, bottom one used as background. Top one fits completely inside background.

First google maps:
    Zoom level 19, 1 zoom level to use.
    JPG
    Skip Existing Tiles (checked),
    Skip Empty Tiles (checked),
    ADVANCED: Fill to Tile Bounds (checked)
    (others unchecked)
    Export bounds: drew a box bottom right corner of top layer, so box covers both top and background layer.

Exported perfectly. All tiles full.

Then TMS tiles.
    All values exactly the same as above.
    Export bounds: used 'reset to last exported bounds' so I'd use same bounds as last.

Tiles are not full. Empty space filled in by background color (black in my case).

I'm using v12.02 Build Jun 21 2011

Any ideas?
    edited June 2011
    I will take a look and see if I can figure out what is happening.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com