Welcome to our new forum platform. We realize there is still some work to do and we appreciate your patience. Please let us know if you have any ideas or suggestions: paul@globalmapperforum.com

How to export a 3d-mesh used for 3d software ?

blackbearblackbear Global Mapper UserPosts: 2 ✭✭
edited January 2013 in Technical Support
1. load in dem.tif file

2. create contour or other ?

3. export a Collada file (.dae), used to 3D applications (3dsmax, sketchup)

What is the best way ?:confused:

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238BMG Staff
    edited January 2013
    If you want a mesh you can load the dem.tif, then use File->Export->Export Elevation to export a 3D DXF mesh or face file, then I believe that will load.

If you want contour lines use the Terrain Analysis menu command to generate contours, then you can export those using File->Export->Export Vector Data.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/
  • blackbearblackbear Global Mapper User Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited January 2013
    thank you.:o
  • JasperGeographicsJasperGeographics Global Mapper User Posts: 6
    edited January 2013
    When I export to a 3d dxf mesh, I end up in autocad with a tall three dimensional block---the top surface is what I want but the object extends all the way down to some ridiculous lower elevation. Is there a setting that will let me export just a thin surface which is the topography?
  • global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238BMG Staff
    edited January 2013
    What projection do you have selected on the Projection tab of the Configuration dialog? It sounds like maybe Geographic (lat/lon) and since Autocad doesn't know about different ground and elevation units, you get a ridiculously tall column like that. Try instead a projected system like UTM and see if that fixes it.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/
  • JasperGeographicsJasperGeographics Global Mapper User Posts: 6
    edited January 2013
    No, I was already working in a projected system. But, I solved it. I was using an area feature to define the area of the DEM that I wanted to export. That area feature was at an elevation that was about the average elevation of the topography, but I guessed that it was somehow corrupting the elevation of the mesh. So, instead I created a line feature outlining the area that I wanted thinking that I could drape the line down onto the surface---I couldn't figure out how to do that, so I just tried the export. It wouldn't accept the line as an area feature for cropping so I selected reset to last area and that gave me the mesh surface. I guess I could have also "drawn a box", snapping to my outline.